- Submissions open March 1 through May 31.
- Initial judging will be done by the editors of River Heron Review.
- Final judging will be done by John Sibley Williams.
- The winning poem will be announced in July.
- Four finalists’ poems will be announced in July.
- The poem of the winner and poem of each of the four finalists will be published in Issue 2.2 on August 1, 2019.
- There is a $15 submission fee.
- Poets may submit up to 3 poems, 5 pages maximum.
- Poets who wish to submit more than once will incur an additional submission fee.
- Previously published poems are not eligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Let us know immediately if your work has been accepted elsewhere by sending us a note through Submittable.
- Your name or initials should not appear on any part of your poetry document, nor should your name or initials appear in the "Title" field of the Submittable form. When naming your file, do not use your initials or any part of your name.
- All submissions through Submittable.
River Heron Review seeks clear, concise, and crafted work from a variety of voices and perspectives. We love poems that use language imaginatively without sacrificing meaning and movement and are receptive to all styles of poetry. Submissions from new, emerging, and established poets are welcomed. We want to be awed, surprised, or moved by the poems you submit.
- Submit up to five poems in one document.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please let us know immediately if your work has been accepted elsewhere by sending us a note through Submittable.
- Previously published is not accepted unless we solicit the work or the work is from a print journal, now defunct. Unpublished work means work that has not appeared in any form of print or digital media, including personal and public blogs.
- It is our practice to read all submissions blind. Your name or initials should not appear on any page of your poetry document, nor should your name or initials appear in the "Title" field of the Submittable form.
- RHR assumes First Electronic/Online Rights including the right to archive.
- Please credit River Heron Review should your poem be published again elsewhere.
- Please adhere to all guidelines. Submissions not adhering to our guidelines will not be considered for publication.
A note regarding the fee and donations: your $3.00 fee and any optional donation help to defray the cost of Submittable and help us to maintain River Heron Review as an online journal. Donations are most gratefully received and in no way have an impact on the outcome of any submission.